We LOVE baked goods for breakfast. I just dislike how long it can take to make it in the morning. So, today I made a Buttermilk Coffee Cake ahead of time. We can throw a piece in the microwave to have it warm tomorrow for breakfast…and save the 40 minutes of making and baking in the morning.
This recipe comes from my Better Homes & Gardens Cookbook – Bridal Edition that we received as a wedding gift. When I got married I didn’t bake or cook much, and this particular cookbook has great information on cooking basics. I love it. It has been used so much the paper cover has crumpled off and several pages have come loose. I still use it at least once a week.
The recipe below is my version of their recipe….because I always change something in a recipe. 😉
Buttermilk Coffee Cake
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2/3 cup butter, cold and cut into chunks
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
2 beaten eggs
1 1/3 cups buttermilk (or sour milk – pout 1 TBSP and 1 tsp white vinegar into measuring cups and then fill up to 1 1/3 mark with milk; let sit for at least 5 minutes to sour)
1. Grease bottom and sides of 9×13 baking pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Combine flour, brown sugar and salt. Cut in butter until coarse crumbles. Set aside 1/2 cup of this mixture for topping later.
3. Add baking powder, soda, cinnamon and nutmeg to the remainder of the flour/sugar/butter mixture.
4. In another bowl, combines eggs and buttermilk. Add egg mixture to the mixture from step 3. Pour batter into greased pan.
5. Sprinkle that 1/2 cup of the flour/sugar/butter mixture on top of the batter. Bake 35-40 minutes or until toothpick poked in center comes out clean.
Serve warm or reheat if making night before!
This is such an easy basic recipe. You could add fruit or nuts to it and it would be delicious, too!!