This recipe is adapted from a Pillsbury Kitchen’s Cookbook I have. It was so big and fluffy and delicious. We ate more than half with one meal!
1 1/4 cups milk
1/2 cup butter
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
2 TBSP sugar
2 tsp salt
1 pkg (2 1/4 tsp) active dry yeast
1. Heat milk and butter until warm (120-130 degrees).
2. place all ingredients in bread machine and run on Dough setting.
3. Grease cookie sheet.
4. Turn dough onto lightly floured counter and divide into 4 pieces. Shape each piece into a strip about 20 inches long. Lay strips side by side on cookie sheet.
5. Pinch one end of strips together to hold. Braid by weaving far right strip over and under other strips. Continue with next strip on right, until braid is completed. Pinch ends together to hold.
6. Cover and let rise in warm place about 45-60 minutes. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Brush dough with beaten egg. Bake 35-40 minutes or until deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Immediately remove from heat and cool.
As usual, we did not wait for it to cool before we tore it apart. 🙂 It was so good!