I make risotto often, almost once a week. We love it. I don’t change it up much, but the other night I wasn’t in the mood for my regular herb risotto. I decided to throw a few extras in. I have sampled it, and it’s pretty tasty. I’ll be hanging onto it for future risotto nights.
A New Risotto
1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
1/2 of a small onion, diced
1.5 cups arborio rice
1/2 cup water
4 cups chicken broth
1 TBSP butter
Cooked Carrots (I had about 1/2 cup leftover cooked carrots from last night that I just diced very small. You could use raw diced carrots, just cook them with the rice instead of adding at the end.)
1 can white beans (I had great northern on hand, but cannellini would be good.), drained and rinsed
2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
Dried or fresh parsley, to taste
1. Heat oil in large skillet. Cook onions in oil until soft, about 4 minutes on medium high heat. Stir often so they don’t burn.
2. Add in rice and stir to coat with oil. Cook about 2 minutes, stirring often. Add in water and pepper. Cook until almost all water is gone.
3. Add in broth, 1/2 cup at a time, cooking until each 1/2 cup is almost gone or absorbed.
4. After almost all the broth has been added (about 30 minutes or so later), add in butter with remainder of broth. Add beans and carrots for last few minutes of cooking….until all liquid absorbed.
5. Stir in cheese and parsley right before serving.
We enjoyed this dish with salads, raw veggies, and some homemade bread. It’s meatless, so that is nice for price per serving. And it’s pretty healthy with the beans and carrots….and if you’re using homemade broth it’s even better for you!
- healthy winter recipe: brown rice risotto with winter squash (irunwithit.wordpress.com)
- Recipe :: Quinoa Risotto with roasted Sweet Potatoes and Rosemary Pesto (simplysheila.wordpress.com)
- Recipe: Italian Risotto and Focaccia (myblogexactly.wordpress.com)
- Roasted Garlic and Tomato Risotto (thehungrygiant.net)
- How To Make Perfect Risotto (theawl.com)