The September issue of Parents magazine is FULL of good recipes. 🙂 Yesterday, I made the Lemony Lentil Soup recipe from that issue, and it was delicious!
Lemony Lentil Soup
3 carrots, chopped (1.5 cups)
1 onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
2 cloves garlic, minced (I used garlic powder instead)
1 dash crushed red pepper, optional (Did not use)
2 cups dried red lentils, rinsed
4.5 cups no-salt-added chicken broth (Used homemade broth from freezer)
1/2 tsp salt (I used a little more because my broth wasn’t salted at all…and even the “no salt” broths from the store still have some salt in them.)
1 TBSP chopped fresh oregano (I omitted; we do not like oregano.)
1 TBSP chopped fresh rosemary (I omitted.)
1 tsp finely shredded lemon peel (I zested half a lemon)
1 TBSP lemon juice
1. Place carrots, onion, garlic and red pepper in medium microwave-safe bowl. Add 2 TBSP water and cover bowl with wax paper. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. (Be careful…it will be HOT!)
2. Add onion mixture, lentils, broth and salt to slow cooker. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on low for 5.5 hours.
3. Stir in oregano, rosemary, lemon peel, lemon juice and pepper to taste.
I, unfortunately, didn’t read the cooking on LOW part and just looked at the hours. So, I set my crock pot to 6 hrs on High. Our soup was still delicious but the lentils became really mushy. I didn’t tell the family messed up, though, because everyone LOVED it! Five of the six of us had 2 servings. 🙂
This will be a keeper for the Fall weather coming up! Definitely delicious and warming for those cool days! AND, it’s meatless but packed with protein.
- Lentil Bolognese (cookinginthesun.wordpress.com)
- French Onion Soup (foodcomas.com)
- Healthy Lentil Soup Recipe (imake.gg)
- Lentil soup recipe (feedyourwellness.wordpress.com)
- Lentil Tacos (maybe the best thing ever) (beyondtheweightingplace.com)
- The Best Chicken Soup Ever (drkatesnaturalblog.wordpress.com)