So, I made up this YUMMY dinner last night. And, as I was making it, I thought “I should take a picture of this once it’s done because this sauce is amazing.” Then, dinner time shenanigans happened and I forgot! But, I was so impressed with myself. 🙂 This doesn’t happen often, and I had really hoped to capture a picture to share with you. Oh well, maybe next time.
I don’t have a good name for the dish, but Cream Cheese Veggie Pasta is about all I have for it. I figured the cream cheese part of the name would be intriguing!
Here it is:
Cream Cheese Veggie Pasta
10 ounces whole wheat linguine
1/2 onion, diced
1 can (14 or 15 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 large carrot, diced
a handful (yes, that’s an exact measurement!) of spinach. measure the handful, then wash and chop
2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
2 cups milk
1/4 cup flour
3 ounces cream cheese
1. Boil enough water for linguine. Salt boiling water and cook al dente, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and return to warm pot.
2. While cooking pasta, heat oil and saute onion and carrot until tender and onions are translucent. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder to taste.
3. While doing #1 and 2, heat 1 cup milk of the milk on medium heat til very warm. Add flour and whisk, continuing to cook and starts to thicken. Add remaining 1 cup milk and continue to whisk/stir while it thickens. Once noticeably thicker but not boiling, add cream cheese and stir until melted and very cream. Salt lightly and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low to keep warm while completing other steps.
4. Once onions and carrots cooked, reduce heat to very low and add in tomatoes (with juice) and spinach. Cook on low until spinach just starting to wilt but still crunchy.
5. In pasta pot, add in veggies and toss. Just before serving, add in cream cheese sauce (so spinach doesn’t get too mushy and is still crunchy when eating) and toss to coat. Serve with freshly grated cheese (preferably Parmesan, but we didn’t have any, so we used Colby. Odd cheese to use, I know, but it’s what we had…and it was good!).
We had this dish with raw veggies, homemade bread, and homemade applesauce. So delicious! We ate all but one serving…for Arthur to take in his lunch today.